Sunday, October 7, 2012

How to Incorporate the "Intangible Goods" Reasoning

As I rode down tree-lined Damen filled with various shades of reds, greens, and yellows with two good friends riding ahead of me, I couldn't help but feel happy. It was one of those moments I wish I could photograph mentally to be there whenever I need it. These types of occurrences are the ones that feed my internal happiness.

As I think about my trip (that starts tomorrow!), I want to capture these same types of moments over there that I can bring back home and have to get me through anything. It's always been more fulfilling for me to talk about all the wonderful experiences I've had versus what kind of car I'm driving or what kind of penthouse loft I'm living in downtown. Neither mentality is right nor wrong, but personally I get more out of life with richness of experiences not richness of personal funds!

So here's my thought: I want to try to live in Australia as "cheaply" as possible. I dislike using the word cheap because of its negative connotations, but what I mean is I'm not going to buy my happiness there, I'm going to experience it.

For instance, instead of shopping for things I don't need (or have room for), I'm going to meet locals who can teach me all the fun, free things to do in each city. Bike rides, swimming and surfing, bushwalking, hiking, free concerts and movies, etc. If Australian cities are anything like Chicago, I know there will be an over abundance of activities!

That being said, it doesn't mean that I won't buy myself or friends and family things or NEVER go out to a fancy meal. Instead, I am going to teach myself to think twice before purchasing things and see if there is something else free that will feed my happiness more.

Either way, I think this will be a great exercise in budgeting and finding what I value most! Open to suggestions :)

No comments:

Post a Comment