Thursday, November 22, 2012

Thanksgiving

Yesterday, we worked at the Queen Victoria Market for one last shift. To be completely honest, we needed produce to make Thanksgiving dinner. Well, and the fact that we genuinely enjoyed dancing and chatting with the customers, even though we would get in trouble. I don't think our supervisors realized that building rapport with customers actually encourages them to return time and time again...

We finished our shift at 2pm then ran over to the butcher to pick up a "turkey" (aka 2 kg chicken) for Thanksgiving dinner. We told the butchers we worked in the market and when they found out which stall they said, "Wow, you two must have been desperate!" Glad to know our intuition about how this stall is run was accurate. Because the guys at the butcher felt so bad for us, they gave us the chicken at a severely discounted rate.

When we got back to Rom and Kelly's, we drank wine, listened to Christmas music, and started prepping dinner. Since Kelly and Diana are American too, we decided to each cook a family recipe. I chose my dad's sweet and savory stuffing. Instead of cranberries, I substituted cherries since they're in season right now in Melbourne. It was a success! Diana made green bean casserole and Kelly made pumpkin pie. Although the meal wasn't quite as good as my dad's, I really enjoyed it as well as the company I was surrounded by.



Before we dove into dinner, we went around the table saying what we were thankful for this year. Every year I have a lot to be grateful for, but this year I am especially thankful for the travel opportunities I've had in 2012. I can't even imagine what 2013 will bring, but I know it's going to be epic. When you follow your heart and live your passions, life seems effortless...great things happen all the time.

Happy Thanksgiving to all those celebrating (and not celebrating). Don't forget to be thankful EVERY DAY :)

No comments:

Post a Comment